With Art-A-Whirl hosting over 60 studio locations, 750+ artists & performers, and an average of 30,000 visitors each year, we could give you a day’s worth of reading material about everything going on. But we won’t. In fact, we’ll make it incredibly simple for you! The beauty of Art-A-Whirl is you can pick any spot in NE Minneapolis and you’re sure to be surrounded by live music, a hodgepodge of art, food trucks galore, and most definitely a plethora of Minnesota’s finest brews!
Since the good times will be endless no matter where you start in Nordeast, we’ve simplified Art-A-Whirl into 4 categories to allow the ultimate art experience.
Art-A-Whirl is every party you could ever want without the guest list. With studio space spanning across the entirety of NE Minneapolis, and an abundance of local art, food, music, and brews – there’s no reason not to indulge in your Minnesota spirit. Sponsored by a non-profit arts organization of over 700 members, Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA) has become a beacon for the artist community all over Minnesota. NEMAA turns all of NE Minneapolis one weekend in May each year into a local paradise and the best part is all YOU have to do is show up!
#2 Five Buildings to make sure you hit:
1. California Building Company – 2205 California St. NE
2. Keg House Arts Building – 34 13th Ave NE Includes Sip Coffee House
3. Thorp Building – 1620 Central Ave NE Includes Diamonds Coffee Shoppe
4. Northrup King Building – 1500 Jackson St. NE
5. Casket Arts Building – 681 17th Ave NE
#3. Where’s the live music at?!
There are so many amazing bands, it’s too hard to name them all, but here are some highlights:
1. Grain Belt Bottling House: Friday – Crazy Chester 5pm
2. 612 Brew: Friday – Step Rockets 8pm
3. Northrup King Building: Saturday – Nolan James 2pm
4. Indeed Brewing’s: Friday – The Chambermaids 8pm, Saturday – Silverback Colony 3:30pm
#4 Food Truck with a Side of Beer
Looking at all that art can make one rather hungry! (And thirsty) Here’s a list of just a few of the spots you can stop by amongst your art perusing:
Food Trucks: Restaurants: Breweries:
*Hot Indian *Anchor Fish & Chips * 612 Brew
*Simply Steve’s *Psycho Suzi’s Motor Lounge * Indeed Brewery
*Gastrotruck *The Bulldog *Dangerous Man
*Natedogs *Pico de Gallo
*Cajun 2 Geaux
2014 dates and hours for Art-A-Whirl 2014:
Friday May 16th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday May 17th 12:00pm- 8:00pm
Sunday May 18th 12:00pm-5:00pm
Free and open to the public